CommunityDevelopmentBanking-L is an active, free, ongoing e-mail discussion
resource. Since 1994, this list has served community development practitioners
including Credit Unions, Banks, CDCs, Loan Funds, trade associations,
regulators, governments and partner non-profits. The discussions have ranged
from the practical (construction, mortgage, and small business lending; job
opportunities, conferences, fundraising) to legislative (CRA, HMDA, and CDFI) to
the cutting edge (micro-loan funds, peer lending, local currency, targeting
"The best Community Development Banking resource in Cyberspace."
Women and minority owned banks & thrifts - a correction.
On Monday, June 12, 1995, USA Today ran a USA Snapshot titled biggest
minority banks. USA Today attributed this information to my firm,
Creative Investment Research. The Newspaper incorrectly titled the
page. We had spoken with them the week before to discuss the data. We
let them know our list reflected the BEST, not the Biggest, minority banks.
They promise to run a correction on Monday, June 19, 1995.
In the interest of accuracy, I am posting a list of the Biggest minority
banks and thrifts. I have also posted our list of the Best minority owned
banks. Any questions or comments? Call 202-722-5000 or 5134. Thank you.
The five best minority and women owned banks and thrifts:
1. Commerce Bank, Laredo, TX. - Hispanic
2. First State Bank, Hulbert, OK - Native American
3. Centinel (not Centennial) Bank, Taos, NM - Hispanic
4. Brownsville National Bank, Brownsville, TX - Hispanic
5. Falfurrias State Bank - Falfurrias, TX - Hispanic
The five biggest minority and women owned banks and thrifts:
1. Banco Popular de Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR - Hispanic (11.5 bil)
2. Banco Central Hispano, Hato Rey, PR - Hispanic (2.5 bil)
3. International Bank of Commerce, Laredo, TX - Hispanic (2.2 bil)
4. East-West FSB, Los Angeles, CA - Asian (1.3 bil)
5. Capital Bank, Miami, FL - Hispanic (1.2 bil)
Our "best" ranking is based upon financial, CRA, HMDA, and economic
This post transferred from the cdb-l mailing list