CommunityDevelopmentBanking-L is an active, free, ongoing e-mail discussion
resource. Since 1994, this list has served community development practitioners
including Credit Unions, Banks, CDCs, Loan Funds, trade associations,
regulators, governments and partner non-profits. The discussions have ranged
from the practical (construction, mortgage, and small business lending; job
opportunities, conferences, fundraising) to legislative (CRA, HMDA, and CDFI) to
the cutting edge (micro-loan funds, peer lending, local currency, targeting
"The best Community Development Banking resource in Cyberspace."
Seeking coordinator to manage financial education program
Catholic Charities of San Jose is looking for a project coordinator to run its sucessfull Investing for All program. This new program teaches young adults about the stock market, mutual funds and retirement savings products.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about working with low-income individuals to build economic self-sufficiency. Ideally we are looking for candidates with experience in one ro more of the following areas :
- in financial products, economics or business
- developing and delivering training materials
- project management
The job description is attached. It is a full time non-exempt position. If you or someone you know is interested in the position please ask them to send a resume with a cover letter to me by August 12.
I would be happy to answer any questions before then by email or telephone.
Position: Project Coordinator
Division: Economic Development Division FTE: 1.0
Program/Dept. Financial Education - 549 Merrill Lynch Location: Zanker
Supervisor: Director of Employment & Financial Education
To develop, maintain & operate all aspects of the Investing for All program in accordance with funding specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prepare course content and instructional materials
2. Order and purchase all program materials
3. Conduct professional outreach to Merrill Lynch and other financials institutions to recruit a pool of volunteer instructors, speakers & presenters to teach monthly investment seminars and to provide advice on program planning and development.
4. Conduct volunteer recruitment, orientation and recognition in coordination with the agency's volunteer program
5. Publish informational article in agency's " Voices of Hope' newsletter and other appropriate publications on Investing for All.
6. Provide program liaison with and regular reporting to Merrill Lynch representatives at both national and local levels; attend meetings as necessary.
7. Perform regular client testing and assessment activities
8. Conduct graduation ceremonies for successful investors.
9. Publicize the Investing for all program to all eligible IDA participants; enroll, case manage and maintain cases for clients
10. Prepare and conduct informational workshops about the Investing for All program at local and national conferences
11. Distribute the Investing for All curriculum to all interested IDA practitioners.
12. Seek additional funding and volunteer support for financial education programs.
SUMMARY OF OTHER JOB DUTIES:
1. Actively participate in events in the Economic Development Division
2. Attend agency-wide meetings as required
3. Perform other responsibilities as assigned to support specific division needs.
(Equivalent education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the job may be considered.)
BA in Economics, Business administration, Finance or other related field (s)
1. 3 years' experience in finance or teaching/training of economic or finance related subjects
2. 2 years' experience of project management
3. 1 year's experience working cross culturally with very low-income persons
Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
· Strong project planning, facilitation and interpersonal skills
· Excellent cross cultural and personal skills
· Thorough knowledge of investment resources/services and financial options for low-income persons in Santa Clara County
· Ability to develop, implement and monitor program budgets
· Proficient in word processing and spreadsheets
· Clear concise written skills and proven writing abilities
· Clear, concise verbal/presentation skills; familiarity with public speaking and other outreach practices
· Self-starter, high energy. Desire to succeed in chosen career path and demonstrated ambition to develop career
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior management, peers and volunteers.
Extensive use of computers and telephone
Sitting at desk for extended periods of time
Hours and other conditions:
40 hours per week, non-exempt, some evenings and weekend work required.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agency's operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.
Director of Financial Education Services
2625 Zanker Road, Suite 201
San Jose, CA 95134-2107
This post transferred from the cdb-l mailing list