CommunityDevelopmentBanking-L is an active, free, ongoing e-mail discussion
resource. Since 1994, this list has served community development practitioners
including Credit Unions, Banks, CDCs, Loan Funds, trade associations,
regulators, governments and partner non-profits. The discussions have ranged
from the practical (construction, mortgage, and small business lending; job
opportunities, conferences, fundraising) to legislative (CRA, HMDA, and CDFI) to
the cutting edge (micro-loan funds, peer lending, local currency, targeting
"The best Community Development Banking resource in Cyberspace."
2 Positions: Capital Link Finance Consultants in CA
See below for 2 position openings (Capital Finance Conusltants) in Sacramento, CA for Capital Link (Boston-based). The Capital Finance Consultants will provide financial consulting and technical assistance to community health centers nationwide that are undertaking capital projects.
Please do not respond to this e-mail and send all inquiries to:
Rock Kershaw and Associates
2206 The Circle
Raleigh, NC 27608
(919) 828-1812 Fax (919) 828-2202
CAPITAL LINK DESCRIPTION(www.caplink.org)
"Connecting Health Centers to Capital Resources"
Capital Link is a technical assistance organization that assists community health centers in planning and obtaining financing for building and equipment projects. With its main office in Boston, Capital Link is managed by the Community Health Center Capital Fund (CHCCF) and staffed in Massachusetts, Illinois, North Carolina, Maryland/DC, Texas, Virginia and Washington. Capital Link services are available to health centers nationally to assist in planning and obtaining financing for capital projects.
Capital Link is not a source of capital—rather, it is a source of assistance in obtaining capital. Capital Link has successfully assisted health centers in obtaining:
Ř loans and letters-of-credit from banks
Ř credit guarantees from hospitals
Ř capital from the tax-exempt bond market
Ř loans and guarantees from USDA
Ř loans and grants from the HUD Enterprise
Zone/Enterprise Community program
Ř forgivable loans from hospital systems
Ř equipment financing
Ř grants from foundations, hospitals, HMOs and
Capital Link also provides extensive assistance to health centers applying to the HRSA Loan Guarantee Program for Facilities and runs periodic capital development seminars across the country.
To assist health centers in obtaining capital from various loan and grant sources, Capital Link works extensively with the centers to assess debt capacity, prepare business plans, and develop financial projections. Capital Link also helps health centers evaluate and choose among various financing options and provides assistance through the documentation process.
Because Capital Link receives funding from the Bureau of Primary Health Care, most of the assistance is provided without charge to health centers.
Capital Finance Consultant A
Capital Link is seeking two full-time, experienced professionals with strong finance, analytical and communications skills. You will provide financial consulting and technical assistance to community health centers nationwide that are undertaking capital projects. These new positions involve working with individual health centers. You will assist them in planning and obtaining financing for feasible capital projects. You will also work with related organizations to improve health center access to capital.
These positions report to the Director of Project Consulting and Finance at Capital Link headquarters in Boston, MA. Your specific responsibilities include working independently and with the Capital Link team to accomplish the following:
One-on-one work with community health centers
§ Meet with health centers to discuss their capital needs and plans.
§ Provide written and oral feedback and guidance on appropriate pre-development steps to assist health centers in moving their projects forward.
§ Conduct financial assessments of health centers, including their abilities to support debt.
§ Based on these evaluations, advise health centers on possible financing options and the costs and benefits of various options.
§ Guide health centers through the process of obtaining financing. Evaluate and refine business plans and assist in the preparation of financing applications or RFPs for financing.
§ Work with health centers to prepare financial projections and develop business plans.
§ Assist health centers in evaluating the relative merits of various financing proposals and in negotiating and obtaining commitment letters from appropriate lenders.
§ Guide health centers through the loan documentation and closing process.
§ Work on development of statewide capital needs surveys and analysis of health centers to assess capital capacities of health centers within a particular state or other area. You serve all fifty states.
§ Assist in the creation of a national database of financial and statistical information for community health centers.
Expansion of National Program
· Help coordinate Capital Link’s technical assistance efforts with government agencies, private foundations, various lending sources, state primary care associations and other partner organizations.
· Interface with consultants and partner technical assistance providers to further develop and coordinate an array of capital development resources for community health centers.
· Participate in developing and improving the overall capital and lending assistance programs of Capital Link.
· Participate in public meetings and presentations to inform and educate health centers, lenders, foundations, and others regarding the capital needs and capacities of health centers.
· Other responsibilities, as assigned from time-to-time by the Director of Project Consulting and Finance.
1. Knowledge/Degree/License Requirements:
· Education. Ideal candidate will have a graduate degree in business, finance, management or public health with a specialization in health care financial analysis and management.
· Credit skills. Ideal candidate will have undergone a credit-training program at a large bank, or have obtained significant credit evaluation skills through another avenue.
· Financial expertise. Ideal candidate will have significant knowledge of various financing vehicles, including traditional bank financing, bond financing (tax-exempt and taxable), and loans from community development financial institutions.
· Knowledge of legal documents. Ideal candidate will have working knowledge of legal documents associated with a bank and/or tax-exempt bond financing for real estate transactions.
· Capital development knowledge. Ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of the community health center capital development process.
· Nonprofit familiarity. Ideal candidate will be familiar with nonprofit organizations and understand their reimbursement patterns and organizational structures.
· Interest in community development finance. Interest in innovative approaches to community development and related financing mechanisms.
· Interest in health care. Interest in the community health center industry, the expansion of access to primary and preventive care, and issues affecting the health care industry.
2. Experience Requirements:
· At least three years of lending, community development financing experience and/or related consulting experience preferred.
3. Skills Requirements:
· Excellent organizational skills
· Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
· Excellent facility with Excel spreadsheet packages
· Good general computer skills (and the ability to type your own work)
· Good oral presentation skills
4. Physical Requirements:
· Must be able to travel to health center sites and conferences, both inside and outside California (out-of-state travel not to exceed 25% of working time).
· Most of the time in office spent sitting, with up to 1/3 of time walking or standing. There are no restrictions on ability to interrupt periods of sitting.
· Manual dexterity required for using computer, filing, etc.
· Minimal lifting.
· Vision requirements, as appropriate, for working on computer and with typed and handwritten materials.
· Must be able to hear well enough to communicate in person and by phone without special assistance.
· Must be able to speak and communicate clearly in English.
5. Mental Requirements:
· Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, juggle many priorities and handle stress in a professional and positive manner.
· Ability to work independently and show professional judgement in carrying out assigned work tasks with limited supervision.
· Ability to respond appropriately and professionally to staff and members of the public, in person and on the phone.
· Ability to understand and follow complex instructions.
6. Working/ Environmental Conditions:
· Climate-controlled office
· Quiet working environment
· Unpredictable conditions when traveling for work
7. Machines, Equipment, Tools Used:
· Fax machine
· Copy machine
· Calculator with financial functions
8. Benefits include health and dental insurance, 403b retirement plan, SEP-IRA, Section 125 and 132 plans, life insurance, disability insurance, 20 vacation days, sick/personal time, and 12 holidays.
9. Salary is based on education and experience.
If interested in this position, please send your cover letter and resume to:
Rock Kershaw and Associates
2206 The Circle
Raleigh, NC 27608
(919) 828-1812 Fax (919) 828-2202
Capital Link is an Equal Opportunity Employer and takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees are not discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
This post transferred from the cdb-l mailing list